Monday, January 25, 2016

NoteWorthy Reads #25

Image from Pixabay.com


For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blog posts I found recently which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. When I have the time I review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will remain available through the blog's search function.

Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.

I realized in preparing this that it’s been about two months since my last one and that I have been saving articles all along, which made it quite difficult to pare down. I am ignoring the FTM/Ancestry kerfluffle because it has been discussed to death in blog posts and Facebook groups and Google Hangouts and YouTube videos.


A GOOD THING

Papers of the War Department 1784-1800 from The In-Depth Genealogist - the project is trying to reconstruct files and papers which were lost when the War Office burned on 8 November 1800. Copies of these documents were filed elsewhere and are now being brought together me in this open online digital archive. You can help! They are looking for people to help transcribe these documents.


CANADA



Canada Patents from Genealogy: Beyond the BMD - She found out that her ancestor invented something in Canada. I wonder if any of mine did. 




– I have a good number of ancestors who lived in Canada West (which became Ontario)


Don’t Miss the Rural Diary Archive from Olive Tree Genealogy– this talks about a new resource which sounds very cool for those of us who want to know how our people lived! I can’t wait to look at it in more detail.



COPYRIGHT

Where Is the Public Domain? from The Legal Genealogist – can you use that photo without getting sued? (Be sure to read the comments too!)



DNA 
(I'm a beginner with genetic genealogy, so I collect explanations. It helps on thise posts to read the comments as well.)


Saying Hello in the DNA World from the DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy blog  - How to introduce yourself to that new DNA match in a way that will encourage a response that might be useful and will not make the recipient uncomfortable? 




DNA Tools from the Study by Night blog - Explains three tools that help her with her genetic genealogy research


The Ancestry 200 from the DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy blog - She has 200 shaky leaf DNA matches at Ancestry - what that means, and the ramifications, with illustrations


DNA Resolutions for 2016 from The Legal Genealogist – resolutions for all of us attempting genetic genealogy research (and, thankfully, ones that I can understand)








(Personal recommendation: add the DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy blog to your blog reader, or subscribe to it. The author is extremely knowledgeable; researches extensively, utilizing both DNA and paper trail genealogy; and explains both very well, with illustrations.)


EDUCATION



Tune in During 2016! How to Listen to the Free Genealogy Gems Podcast  from Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems - believe it or not, I have never listened to a podcast. I appreciate the explanation. Maybe I'll try it.



GERMANY/German Immigrants


Was Johan Adam Hacker a Redemptioner? from A Pennsylvania Dutch Genealogy blog – I’d never heard of a redemptioner, and now I will consider that in relation to my German ancestors - interesting post.


German Immigrants in American Church Records from the Legacy Tree blog  – possible way to find ones ancestors' town of origin in Germany



GREAT STORIES (albeit not all happy ones)




    and

Lulu Was a Badass from It’s a Beautiful Tree - unrelated stories, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut either one: Julie writes so well!


To Save Lucille from A Southern Sleuth blog – the tragedy of tuberculosis







HISTORY


A Look inside America Secret Atomic City from History Daily – I suppose I’m fascinated by the secret history of nuclear facility at Oak Ridge, Tennessee because my grandfather had the opportunity to work there during World War II, but ended up at the Plum Brook Ordinance Works munitions factory in Ohio instead because grandma didn’t like the potential living quarters – not to mention the fact that it was part of the Manhattan project, building a nuclear bomb. 


120-year-old Astronomy Photo Plates Found in Neils Bohr Institute Basement from The History Blog – nothing to do with genealogy but fascinating nonetheless 


Trunk of Undelivered 17th Century Letters Rediscovered from The History Blog – wouldn’t you love to read the letters? Wouldn’t it be cool if one of them referenced one of your ancestors?









IMAGES – FOR BLOGGING

NYPL Images Free to Use from The Legal Genealogist NYPL = New York Public Library. 180,000 free digitized images. Wow!



INTERESTING ARTICLE




The Three Unique Sources Didn’t Prove Anything from the Life from the Roots blog – trying to nail down that elusive “fact”.


Newspapers Help Smash a Genealogy Brick Wall from the FamilySearch blog – a search story with tips along the way


The Average American Lives 18 Miles from Their Mom  from mentalfloss.com – I am not average; I live 1559 miles from my mom


George III’s Huge Map Collection Digitized  from The History Blog – “The British Library has begun a massive project to digitize all of King George the third’s 50,000 piece map collection.…” Can you imagine how it might help you find where your ancestors have lived if you had contemporaneous maps in which to look?



SCOTLAND





TIPS






Finding the Neighbors from This American Mutt blog – if you can’t find your ancestor, try this!


Paper Notices  from Genealogy Tip of the Day  – a possible saving grace if the courthouse burned down




Tuesday’s tip: My Favorite Lesser-Known Websites from the Pages from the Ancestry Binders blog – there are two or three here that I have not heard of that sound helpful; I intend to check them out



TOOLS


Read the Directions from The Legal Genealogist  - she found a downloadable .pdf, which explains exactly what the census takers were told to do for each and every U.S. census from the first census in 1790 all the way up to the census of 2000. That will be a huge help. 




Legacy 8 Tips the Michigan Family Trails blog has an ongoing series on tips for using Legacy 8, a genealogy desktop software. This link is to the gathered index page all of such posts on her blog (as such, it will grow).


Using the Lancaster, Pennsylvania Mennonite Vital Records from Ancestry.com blogs– over the course of many years, the Lancaster Mennonite historical Society compiled more than 200,000 index cards with records of Mennonite families in the region, and ancestry has them! Oh boy, oh boy!


Dear Randy: How Do You Use Your Smart Phone to Do Genealogy? from Randy Seaver’s Genea-Musings blog – and I thought I was good with a smartphone! There’s a lot more out there than I was aware of.





Old Genealogies in the Digital Age from the Vita Brevis blog – the New England Historic Genealogical Society is adding genealogies published in the 19th and early 20th centuries to their digital library


Allen County Public Library Online Resources  from the DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy blog – she  often stresses the importance of traditional documentary research as she does here regarding the excellent resources online from the ACPL Genealogy Center for African American and Native American genealogy research.



USA


         ARKANSAS


From the Depths of the Law Library from The Legal Genealogist – if you have ancestors who lived in pre-Arkansas, sometime between 1809 in 1834, you’ll want to read this.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for including my post about my grandmother and her family. I am very flattered! And I look forward to reading your blog as I've now subscribed to receive new posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for subscribing. :) I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. Blogger didn't send me a notice. I loved your post about your grandmother!

      Delete
  2. Jo, What a nice surprise to receive notification from you that you included my blog post,
    "The Three Unique Sources Didn’t Prove Anything" in your NoteWorthy Reads #25. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Barbara! (I'm sorry I didn't reply before - Blogger is failing in its job of notifying me of comments.)

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]