Tuesday, March 1, 2016

I Ran Out Of February!


Climbing My Family Tree: What I'm Reading Now
What I'm Reading Now
(a book is a book, whether it be paper, ebook, or audiobook)
Click to Make Bigger

February is too short! I am working on Noteworthy Reads #26, but it’s not going to get done tonight unless I stay up all night and I’m too tired for that. It also won’t get done tomorrow night since I have a class. So at this point, I am aiming for next weekend.

The reason the Noteworthy Reads for February will be late is that I flew over 1500 miles to see my parents and my brother’s family and had a lovely visit, without my laptop. After I returned, this past Sunday night I went to see Altan, an Irish music group, in concert as my choice for my parents’ Christmas present to me. I’ve loved their music for over 20 years. I had a blast! (There was dancing in the aisles!) [Here’s a sample of their music on YouTube: John Doherty’s Reels (instrumental) or an old favorite song, Dulamon.]

I’ve also been ordering, and reading, books to help me more understand the world my ancestors lived in, and the events they lived through. Here’s a list of books I’ve been reading recently:
    

  • The Patriots and the People: The Rebellion of 1837 in Rural Lower Canada by Allan Greer
  • A Deep Sense of Wrong: the Treason, Trials and Transportation to New South Wales of Lower Canadian Rebels after the 1838 Rebellion by Beverley Boissry
  • The History of Huntingdon and of the Seigniories of Beauharnois and Chateauguay, by Robert Sellar (150th Anniversary Edition)
  • Famine in West Cork: the Mizen Peninsula Land and People 1800-1852 by Patrick Hickey
  • Commemorating Canada: history, heritage, and memory, 1850s-1990s (Themes in Canadian History) by Cecilia Morgan.


I’ve also recently reread/skimmed The Scottish Pioneers of Upper Canada, Glengarry and Beyond” by Lucille H Campey.


Further, I’ve discovered the treasure trove of old (off copyright) history books on Amazondotcom that can be downloaded to the Kindle app on my iPad. I think they are mainly the same sort of digitized old history books that I have been reading over the last year or so on Google Play books, but instead of getting a crick in my neck trying to read the whole book on my laptop through the bottoms of my bifocals, I can read them in the same position I would any other e-book on an e-reader – much easier on the neck! I'm going to take a closer look at the Canadian history titles later this week.

Check back this coming weekend for my next installment of NoteWorthy Reads, #26!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, I've listed this blog in Interesting Blogs at
    http://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/friday-fossicking-4th-march-2016.html
    Thank you.
    BTW, I ran out of February as well, even with the extra day!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]