Saturday, May 2, 2015

NoteWorthy Reads #12

picture from Pixabay.com


For week ending May 1, 2015

For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blog posts I found this week which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. It’s not going to be a “best of” post because I don’t have the knowledge to make that determination. I don’t even promise that the articles & blog posts will be written that week – just that I found them that week. At the end of each trimester I’ll review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will still be available through the blog's search function.

Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.


CANADA

Am I Descended from a Loyalist? from the Family Tree Knots blog  – how to determine whether your ancestor may be a Loyalist.


DNA

DNA Lectures YouTube Channel, from DNA-eXplained – Genetic Genealogy blog  (or should this be under Education?)


FUN

How Mad Men Will Really End – with a Shaky Leaf from the Clue Wagon blog – such fun for Mad Men fans (I’ve never watched it and it was still fun).

Peter Pan’s Midlife Crisis, from On Granny’s Trail blog – fun, Peter and divorce records


GREAT STORIES

The Sad Death of Margaret (McKenzie) Clark and Her Children, from the Genealogist on a Journey blog – a very well written and sad story.

A Tale of Sarah Hood and the Salem Witch Trials from the Genealogy with Valerie blog – in ancestor indicted in the Salem witch trials


HISTORY



War as Waiter: Soldier Servants from the Journal of the American Revolution – serving the war effort as an officer’s servant


INTERESTING ARTICLE




IRELAND

Irish Valuation Records: Tracing Tenancy and Ownership of the Family Home: Warblestown found at “On a Flesh and Blood Foundation”: an Irish History blog – “Property valuation records are an important resource for learning about the places in which our ancestors lived in the land of Ireland.” An interesting ‘how to’ article with pictures.

  
Irish Genealogy Resource with 400,000 Catholic Parish Records to Go Online from siliconrepublic.comThe entire collection of Catholic parish register microfilms held by the National Library of Ireland, considered the single most important source of information on Irish family history prior to the 1901 Census and dating from the 1740s to the 1880s, is to be made available online July 8, 2015.

SCOTLAND

The Scottish Emigration Database – “currently contains the records of over 21,000 passengers who embarked at Glasgow and Greenock for non-European ports between 1 January and 30 April 1923, and at other Scottish ports between 1890 and 1960.”


TIPS

Cemetery Records –What can they tell you? How do you use them? from Michigan Family Trails blog = Interesting. I didn’t know you could get that much information from a cemetery record




Being an Actor and Filing a Record from the Thinking Genealogically blog – A pastor’s point of view of filing marriage records, as the one who does so, can help us in our search of such records.




TOOLS

Blank Census Forms (U.S., U.K., Can.), by Ancestry.com – Now, I can read what all those heading-questions are!


Manifest Markings: A Guide to Interpreting Passenger List Annotations – “These web pages are intended to provide a comprehensive reference guide to interpreting the markings, or annotations, found on immigration passenger lists. It is written for researchers with a U.S. passenger list in hand.”

Tools of the Trade: JSTOR from the blog at D. Joshua Taylor, Forward in Family History - JSTOR is a fascinating resource to learn more about the times and culture in which our ancestors lived, and, sometimes, about our ancestors themselves.

Randy Seaver at the Genea-Musings blog continues his explanatory series on the use of the new tool for genealogists, Historylines.com with




(See NoteWorthy Reads #11 for links to the first three installments)


USA- NEW YORK

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the mention Jo. I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Diane. I look forward to putting your advice to good use.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]