Monday, October 14, 2013

October 7, 2013 - October 13, 2013

As I've been working for the Unemployment Insurance Department for over twenty years, it is ingrained in me to run my weeks Monday through Sunday, as we do at work; accordingly, the dates above.  This week I have been concentrating on the Erwin branch of the family. I'm not as far along as I'd hoped for two reasons: 1) this week at work was high stress, which because of my gastroparesis, tends to eat into my energy reserves and by the end of the week I was exhausted, and didn't get on the computer to dive back into my research until Sunday evening; and 2) there is a gracious plenty of information about the Erwins in Illinois and, just before that, in Indiana, and there are a whole bunch of them, with repeating family names. I am going fairly slowly to try to make sure I have the correct people in my tree, and the correct information attached to the correct person.

I did a post mid-week on Eli Erwin because I was so excited to have found his muster papers. I am now back to his & John's father, Crawford (who apparently greatly preferred being married to being single as he had three wives and did not go more than a year without one after each of the first two died) and his grandfather, William, with hints that I might get to his great grandfather, (in NC, maybe William, again) if I can sort out who belongs to whom as there appear to be even more Erwins in NC in the late 1700s - early 1800s than there are in Indiana and Illinois in later years.

I believe I'm going to have to let go of my goal of having finished this pass through Mom's side of the family before I see her next given that I haven't even reached her Dad's side of the family yet. Sorry, Mom.

As this is a three day weekend for me, I hope to get another Ancestor Highlight up sometime tomorrow (Monday).  Long term, one of my personal goals is to truly flesh out my female ancestors as best I can, as women tend to get lost in history and I don't want them to get lost in our family history; but I have to acknowledge that at this early stage my highlights are definitely male-centric.  This is because there is more documentation about men, particularly if there's a war (and additionally the male Erwins have managed to get themselves into several early county history books in Illinois and Indiana [which, serendipitously, are available as free, searchable, ebooks through Google books*]). I will probably get more about the women in the family on the next pass through the research and I will highlight the women when I can. But the next Ancestor Highlight is likely to be about a man again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*If you have any desire to read these county histories yourself, contact me, or say so in the comments, and I'll list the books so you can find them yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]