Sunday, March 22, 2015

NoteWorthy Reads #7

Climbing My Family Tree: NoteWorthy Reads #7
image from Pixabay.com


For week-ending 3/21/15

For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blog posts I found this week which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. It’s not going to be a “best of” post because I don’t have the knowledge to make that determination. I don’t even promise that the articles & blog posts will be written that week – just that I found them that week. At the end of each quarter I’ll review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will still be available through the blog's search function.


Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.


DNA

UK Mapped Out by Genetic Ancestry by Nature.com – “Finest-scale DNA survey of any country reveals historical migrations.”

HISTORY

136-Year Old Pair Of Levi’s Was Built To Last, from Mashable.com – surprising what a pair of jeans has to say about history

How A Brilliant Intelligence Officer Used ‘Monopoly’ to Free WWII POWs by Mental Floss – a fascinating story

10 Historical Inventions Patented by Women by the Crestleaf blog - very interesting


IRELAND

The Irish Genealogist Database - The Irish Genealogical Research Society’s annual journal, The Irish Genealogist, (1937- present) has been scanned in full to create a searchable resource of more than a quarter of a million names.


TIPS

Searching With Wildcards and Boolean Operators from Fishwrap, the Official Blog of Newspapers.com – this would work on almost any searchable resource or search site

When Searching Databases Doesn’t Work from the Mocavo blog

Are You Organized Enough? by Organize Your Family History blog

How To Find Black Sheep Ancestors, Part 1: Church Records and How to Use Tax Records to Solve Genealogy Problems, by Colonial Roots blog 

TOOLS

U.S. Federal Agricultural Census Questions from the Search Tip of the Day blog. Link to .pdf file which contains explanations for those impossible to read categories at the top pf the form. 

Maps and Deeds: The Perfect Combination from The National Institute for Genealogical Studies blog

Preserving Old Cassette Tapes from Ancestor Soup blog - this could be quite useful.


USA - KENTUCKY

The Kentucky Digital Library is made up of thousands of digital documents found at 20 libraries, archives and institutions in Kentucky, but through this portal all collections are searchable at once.


USA - MICHIGAN

Finding New Death Certificates on SeekingMichigan on No Story Too Small – lots of blogs had posts on the newly expanded death certificate database this week. I chose Amy’s because she illustrates how to search it with screenshots.

OFF TOPIC BUT WORTH IT

The Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino  from ButYouDontLookSick.com – explains what everyday living is like with a chronic illness or disability, using an easy to understand analogy, For those who don't have a chronic illness but have a friend or loved one or client with one and want to better understand what it's like to live with one.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that I need to take care of myself before I can take care of others! :) Tough, busy times, but I know life has its ups & downs. I hope to be back soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]