Sunday, March 29, 2015

NoteWorthy Reads #8

Image via Pixabay.com
Image via Pixabay.com

For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blog posts I found this week which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. It’s not going to be a “best of” post because I don’t have the knowledge to make that determination. I don’t even promise that the articles & blog posts will be written that week – just that I found them that week. At the end of each quarter I’ll review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will still be available through the blog's search function.

Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.

For week-ending 3/28/15

CANADA

New Mennonite Photo Archive in Canada explanation article from the University of Waterloo’s Mennonite Archives of Ontario, contains a link to the new database (MAID)  which currently has over 80,000 descriptions of photos and over 9,000 images and will be expanding.

DNA




EDUCATION

Webinars by Michael John Neill offered by Rootdig.com, $5.00 to $8.50, covers a wide variety of topics: optimum use of various databases, finding female ancestors, breaking down brick walls, case studies, land, methodology, and others.

The 2015 Illinois State Genealogical Society’s Webinar Series listing, free, one per month April through December, variety of topics. Be sure to read FAQs.

The 2015 Southern California Genealogical Society Webinar Series listing, free, two per month. Be sure to read FAQs.


HISTORY






INTERESTING ARTICLE

The Stories that Bind Us – What are the Twenty Questions?  – the more of these answers kids know “were associated with higher levels of self-esteem, an internal locus of control ( a belief in one's own capacity to control what happens to him or her), better family functioning, lower levels of anxiety, fewer behavioral problems, and better chances for good outcomes if a child faces educational or emotional/behavioral difficulties.” The thing is, these are good Family History questions!

IRELAND



NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS

OldMagazineArticles.com – fascinating site! “The old articles, essays, poetry, cartoons and photographs that can be found on the site have all been collected from a number of different libraries, bookshops and yard sales throughout the United States and Europe.” Wide variety. Read the “About Us” and FAQs at the bottom of the main page.


SCOTLAND




TIPS

It’s All About Access by the Organize Your Family History blog  – “what’s really meaningful is easy access to your information, both physical and electronic.”

Eleven Things I Would Do Differently and A Dozen Things I Got Right by on the DNAeXplained - Genetic Genealogy blog.

How Do We #GenChat?  by Your Roots Are Showing, Dearie!  – very helpful! #Genchat is a Twitter based 1-hour long Genealogy conversation every other Friday night at 7pm Pacific, 8pm Mountain, 9pm Central or 10pm Eastern. I’ve only managed to do it once but it was interesting and fun & this looks like it will make it much easier to participate!


TOOLS

Which Black’s?  by The Legal Genealogist: Discusses which edition of Black’s Legal Dictionary is best for genealogy in that it contains definitions of those old legal terms in old deeds, estates and old court cases involving your ancestors. Unfortunately not the one I have but now I know where to get the one I’ll need at a reasonable price (cheaper than the one I have).

And More Dictionaries, wherein The Legal Genealogist provides the names of and information on where to find similar resources for England, Australia, and Canada.

List of Genealogical Societies in the Federation of Genealogical Societies  and their websites and contact info; 438 of them.


Souvenir Books via the Genealogy: Beyond the BMD blog – I never would have thought of these, but now I will be looking for them!

The blog for The National Genealogical Society, Upfront With NGS, has been running a 6-part series, titled “20 Free and (Relatively New Genealogy and Family History Resources” -- that’s 20 resources each post! They cover an amazing variety of topics and don’t seem to be in any order whatsoever as far as I can tell, but you can go through them and bookmark the ones that will be helpful for you.  I’ve been waiting for the series to be finished to put the series in a NoteWorthy post. I will list direct links to each post. Have fun!









USA


    OHIO


Western Reserve Historical Society’s online databases, includes funeral home Indices, Cuyahoga County Cemetery Inscription Index,Jewish marriage & death notices, 1907 Voter Registration Index, Cleveland Servicemen Photo database, among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]