Sunday, April 19, 2015

NoteWorthy Reads #10


From Pixabay.com


For week ending 4/18/15

For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blogposts I found this week which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. It’s not going to be a “best of” post because I don’t have the knowledge to make that determination. I don’t even promise that the articles & blogposts will be written that week – just that I found them that week. At the end of each quarter I’ll review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will still be available through the blog's search function.

Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.


CANADA
Finding A Family Hero – An Obscure Canadian Database You Might Not Have Used But Should  from Ian Hadden’s Family History Blog – discusses and links to a searchable database of Canadian National Honors and Awards

DNA 

EDUCATION
Ancestry Academy Launched Today -  this post by the Genea-Musings blog explains the new launch better than the announcement Ancestry.com sent out, so I’ve chosen to share this one instead.

FUN



GREAT STORIES
Military Monday – Fred Goempel’s Story Part One, from Jennifer Holik‘s blog – a fascinating story. I’m good to have to tune in again next Monday and hope that she gives us part 2 because I want to know what happened next!

Luremia Combs (c 1740-c1820) and the revolution on her doorstep, 52 ancestors #67  from DNA-Explained blog– interesting story, both as to the family story and the story of how the author found it (including her own pictures of the area in which her ancestors lived).


HISTORY


INTERESTING ARTICLE

Changing Perceptions and Making Connections – One Map at a Time from the Indian Country Today Media Network – Article about the maker and making of the Tribal Nations Map

A Dozen Ancestors That Aren’t – aka – Bad NADs from dna-explained.com “Sooner or later, this happens to every genealogist.  You are “gifted” with an ancestor one way or another and either they turn out not to be your ancestor at all, or at least not by that surname! Then, you have to saw that branch off of your own tree!  Ouch!” -- Read the comments as well - informative  and lots of fun, too!


IRELAND


NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS
10 Great Online Newspaper Archives, from a UK perspective, from the Newsroom blog of the British Library 


TIPS
Genealogy 101: Bible Records from Colonial Roots Blog - an article on where to possibly find your family Bible records and to analyzing them on to find them.


Protect an Overlooked Genealogy Treasure from Legacy Family, Tree Legacy News – have you considered saving your family related email? [I will tell you that, after my brother died, I went looking for every email I had saved that he had sent me and I really wish that I had saved more.]

Genealogy: 150 Questions to Ask Family Members about Their Lives, from genealogybyBarry.com – a very good list of questions. May you have better luck than me in getting family to answer questions. I have had problems getting most of my family members to answer 10 questions. [My thanks to my father who answered about 500. Yes, I sent him 500 questions, LOL - that was more than a decade ago. I was quite young.] 

Keep Your Timelines Relative from the Genealogy Tip of the Day blog – I do timelines for each one of the ancestors I have written up as part of my preparation for writing, I had not considered doing one for each one in order to figure out what areas of their life need further research. I will now. 

Tuesday’s Tips – Using Timelines, from Are You My Cousin?  Blog – Video how-to and picture illustration of how to make a timeline for your ancestors. 

Tip: Finding Women in Military Records from Fold 3 HQ, the official blog of Fold3 



Skipping Page Two  from Begin with Craft blog – Don’t skip page two!


TOOLS  
  
Free Historical Book Collection Online Hits 200,000th Milestone – free virtual online library of rare historical books from all over the world.

Dayna’s Genealogy Toolkit from On Granny’s Trail – “my go-to links that are not record repositories, but rather are tools to help me find, interpret, and organize my research and records.”


USA
PENNSYLVANIA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]