Sunday, November 22, 2015

NoteWorthy Reads #24

Image from Pixabay.com


For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blog posts I found recently which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. When I have the time I review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will remain available through the blog's search function.

Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.


A GOOD THING
  
13 Things for History Lovers to Do Online When They're Bored  – 13 fascinating transcription projects from BuzzFeed.com


CANADA

Immigrants to Canada, Porters and Domestics, 1899-1949  – the Library and Archives Canada has a new database containing more than 8000 references to people who came to Canada as porters or domestics during this timeframe.



New England Planters  from the Vita Brevis blog - "...before the Loyalists fled to Canada after the American Revolution, another important group settled Maritime Canada: the New England Planters. This often overlooked group of New Englanders (and others) left a cultural and political impact on Canadian history."



DNA

X Marks the Spot  rom the Vita Brevis blog – good explanation of the nature of the X chromosome inheritance




ENGLAND 



FUN




GERMANY

Looking for Immigrants from the Rhineland? from Connecting the Worlds blog – if your people are from the Northrhine-Westphalia area, you’re in luck!


GREAT STORIES

The Pages from the Ancestry Binders blog has been running a nine part series entitled Dad’s War Letters in which she’s been printing transcriptions of excerpts of several letters from when her father was in World War II. They are wonderful letters. So far she has posted six parts. Here is the link to Dad's War Letters, Part One of Nine, go read ALL of them.


Holbrook line: Susan Eddy Stanard 1835-1910 from the Happy Genealogy Dance blog – sometimes it’s amazing what you learn when you think you’re learning something else



HISTORY

What Presidents Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, & Wilson Sounded Like  from stuffnobodycaresabout.com – recordings of the above-named presidents from the Vincent Voice Library at Michigan State University.





INTERESTING ARTICLE

Missing Great Uncle Rex in the 1939 Register… A Puzzle Solved from the Family History 4U  blog – interesting story and a good explanation of how to get around transcription errors.


The Most Unusual Ancestry in Each State  from 24/7 Wall St – long, but interesting article. Did your state surprise you?

Scary Times for Joses Bucknam from the Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog– Revolutionary war prisoner of war 

Object of Intrigue: the Prosthetic Iron Hand Of a 16th-Century Knight  from AtlasObscura – Götz von Berlichingen, the owner of the prosthetic iron hand, sounds like a very interesting man. 

1900 Census Instructions for San Diego Enumerators from the Genea-Musings blog– didn’t you always want to know how enumerators were chosen and what their instructions were?

Her Choice, Not His  and The Rest of Ann’s Story from The Legal Genealogist – the probate lesson, and the rest of the story.


IRELAND

The blog for the Ancestor Cloud community is running an ongoing series on Genealogy in Ireland. So far they have five parts:



SCOTLAND 

What Happened to the Family Fortune? Historic Scottish Probate Records Now Online!  from the blog from the Ancestry.com blog – two centuries worth of historic Scottish probate records are now online at Ancestrydotcom.


TIPS 

The New FamilySearch – I’m Loving It! from the Opening Doors in Brick Walls blog – FamilySearch has made it easier to search non-indexed records and Cathy shows us how, with screenshots








TOOLS 






USA
PENNSYLVANIA

Warrantee Township Maps  – the Pennsylvania State archives holds warrantee Township maps which show all original land purchases from the Proprietors or the Commonwealth made inside the boundaries of present-day townships [includes name of warrantee, name of patentee, number of acres, name of tract, and dates of warrant, survey and patent].


OFF TOPIC  - but since family historians care about family heirlooms…

            A personal warning. If you want to move or ship a piece of furniture or family heirloom that you truly care about and want it to arrive intact, I strongly recommend that you do NOT use a company named Minimoves, even if directly referred by larger moving companies. [I am not linking to them. The website inspires a trust that would be seriously misplaced.] 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, Thank you for including Joses Bucknam's story on your Noteworthy Reads this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome. It's a good explanation -- one I'll use!

      Delete
    2. Jo, I sent you an email but it must have gone to your spam folder. Would you mind fixing my name in the post. I'm particular to Cathy. :) Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Sorry about that. I accidentally gave you my cousin's name. It's fixed now. I don't know where the email went -- it's not in the spam folder either.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Jo, for reading and mentioning my post about Susan Stanard and her noteworthy son-in-law. It's great to have you as a reader, and I do appreciateyou and your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Jo,
    thanks for including my post on the emigrants from the Rhineland on your Noteworthy Reads this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm hoping that when I get over to my Mom's side again that my (multiple lines of) German ancestors will be from somewhere with online records.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]