Tuesday, January 21, 2014

52 Ancestors: Ancestor # 3 Samuel Hartman 1809-1864

I almost blew the challenge in just the third week. I've been spending the weekend doing research on another branch of the family but I'm not ready to write about any of that yet. I couldn't intially get my head yanked out of that area to figure out what, or who, to do my #3 Ancestor post on. And I left it to the last minute. (It's 7:10 PM Tuesday night; let's see if I can get this posted by the 8:00 PM deadline!)

I noticed in reading other's 52 Ancestors blogs that a number of people are writing about their end line ancestors in hopes of finding someone to help them break through their brick wall. That sounded like a good idea. So I'm going with that.

Samuel Hartman is my 3rd great grandfather on my Mom's maternal side. I have a prior blog post about his son, my 2nd great grandfather, Samuel Myers Hartman here, where I talked  a little about the Samuel I will talk about here, too, so there will be some overlap. Our ancestors' propensity to be more flexible in the spelling of their names made finding Samuel, for sure, a little challenging. I ended up tracking him more by his wife and kids' names than by his middle initial, which, since I've seen it as F., S., T, and U., I left out of the title of this post! (Mostly, I think it's more an issue with the census taker's handwriting.)

Samuel Hartman was born somewhere in Pennsylvania in approximately 1809. I haven't yet found where or who his parents were for certain. (Let's hold off on that thought until the end of the sketch.) He first shows up in the 1830 Census in Wayne County, Ohio. It was one of those numbers in a category census and indicated in his household 1 male 20-29 (him) and one female 15-20, who I take to be his wife, Maria Eve Whonsetler, who was also born in Pennsylvania  around 1813 (per later censuses ...censi?).

Over the course of their marriage the couple had 11 children. The first, Alexander Stephen Hartman, was born the year after that first census, in 1831. Tragically, he pre-deceased his parents in 1853. Their first daughter, Laraneice, born in 1833, also died before her parents in 1850. Their second son, Hiram Whomsetler, born 1836, died in 1862 but, as far as I can tell so far, his death was not related to the Civil War. The rest of the children are as follows: Elmira Suse (1837-1892), Ephraim D (1839-1930), Samuel Myers (1844-1928), Jasper Newton (1847-1906), Francis Marion (1851-1934), Franklin Pierce (1853-1926), Pandie Elmer (1855-1856 [sad]) and Lorena 1856-1886.  (Francis and Franklin show that the American trend of naming your kids after celebrities is not solely a current phenomena!)

Samuel owned property worth $1001 in 1850 in the Canaan Township of Wayne County OH. At that point he and Marie Eve had 8 children, ranging from 19 to just born. (1850 Census) By 1860, Samuel had become a very successful farmer, owning $18,200 worth of real property and $1573 of personal property in Chester Township. (1860 Census.)  [For perspective, a 4 room apartment rented for $4.45 cents a month in 1860; land sold for $3-$5 an acre; a laborer’s wage without board was 90 cents a day; eggs were 20 cents a dozen. (http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/what-did-things-cost-in-1860/)]

Samuel died in 1864. His wife outlived him by over 20 years. The 1880 Census shows her living in her son Franklin's home, which was next door to Francis' home.

At one point, I did have Samuel's mother, or who I think is his mother (based mainly on other Ancestry tree and shaking leaf hints). But I was having problems figuring out who his father was, or rather which Peter was his father. I discovered via a note on one person’s well-documented tree that the problem I was having with Peter Hartman is partially because there are four Peter Hartman(s) in Wayne county in Ohio at that time; I’d run across all four, plus one Peter Hartmann, and  in another state a Johann Peter Hartmann that various people were tying into what looks like our line and having them all married to Catherine Zollnar or Caterina ZĂ–llner, which just isn’t possible – one Peter Hartman even had a different birth date that had him marrying her at age 11, while she was 23, which I think is unlikely. It looks like Catherine Zollnar is in our line but I couldn't establish that for certain yet so I took her off the tree.

So if there's anybody out there who has these Hartman's in your tree or knows more, Cousin, I'd love to hear from you! If there is anybody with research suggestions, I'd love to get them too. I've only been doing this about a year; I have a lot to learn. Any insight on where or how to research Wayne County OH would be appreciated as I seem to have a boatload of ancestors that came through there. Some Amish! But that will be another post...






6 comments:

  1. Have you tried looking at probate records? If you pulled them for all the Peter Hartman's (assuming they exist), likely the children of each would be named which will help you sort out which is yours. I have also seen land deeds name all the children - look for Peter Hartman et al in the indexes, if he/they owned land when the father passed, the children might sell the land together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Either one of them. Thanks a bunch! I'll put that on my "to do" list for the Hartmans. (I'm trying to get more organized about all this.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samuel Thomas Hartman was my 3rd great grandfather also. Not sure what you now have but I have info on his father , grandfather and great grandfather, back to Frederick County MD.

    My line has not strayed far from Wayne County as my father was born there.

    Jeff Hartman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff, I don't have a lot because I'm just beginning, and am sort of doing this project in two passes. The first one, while my parents generation is still around is to find the easy stuff (mainly what I can find through Ancestry.com, Fold3.com, newspapers, county histories, and google) so I can ask question of my parents and aunts and uncles and show them what I find. After I get through the whole family, Mom & Dad's sides, on the easy to find stuff, then I intend to go back through everything and expand out my sources (including non-internet research) and hopefully batter down some walls. But I'll take help at any stage of the game!

      Samuel Thomas Hartman is as far as I've gotten back on this line because of the problem I have with figuring out which Peter is his Dad. I hope I have that much right, it is a Peter Hartman, isn't it? Because I can't figure out his parents are, I also don't know his siblings. I have a bit further back on his wife's folks, some of whom came thru Maryland. I would love it if you would be willing to share what you know of Samuel's family. If I've got anything you want, you are welcome to it. My email address is henn.jo@hotmail.com. My ancestry tree is set to public if you want to see how my line goes down.

      I have been to Wayne County (my brother went to College of Wooster), but that was before I'd gotten into genealogy and so had no idea we had roots there.

      I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I work long hours sometimes at my regular job.

      Jo

      Delete
    2. Jeff, I just discovered in reading another blog that I was rude to you when I only meant to be non-presumptuous. (http://dna-explained.com/2014/03/16/23-ways-to-be-a-pita/http://dna-explained.com/2014/03/16/23-ways-to-be-a-pita/ ). I didn't mean to ask for all the research you ever done. I'd really like names, to know if I'm going in the right direction, and dates of birth and death, and I'm willing to give you names, kids, dates, places on my line, photos if I have them (I don't have a lot).

      I'm just really happy you commented. It's fun to discover new cousins. And it means someone has read my blog - also cool!

      I'm at work and thus poking at my phone to type this, so I'm going to close now.

      I hope to hear from you again.

      Jo

      Delete
  4. I tried to send you an email the other day and just 5 minutes ago. Both bounced back to me. Try and email me at jeff_hartman@mail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]