Wednesday, January 29, 2014

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: Don, Paul and Clarence Snyder

Climbing My Family Tree: Don, Paul, and Clarence Snyder
(click to make bigger)


Written on the back of the photograph is:
"Don    Paul     Clarence,
upon Don's return from WWII 1943-4
Notice he has a cast on his leg - shot -
Huronia Beach"

Don and Paul are my Grand-uncles and Clarence is my Grandpa.
My grandparents lived in Huron Ohio so this was likely taken near their home. Huronia Beach, Ohio, is on Lake Erie.

The photo must have been taken while Don was on leave, because he served on Bataan in April 1945.

Per the 16 April 1945  Findlay Republican Courier, p. 11: 
"Despite Japanese mortar and sniper fire, Technical Sergeant Don B Snyder, of Findlay, leading a platoon of the 151st Infantry, 38th Division, maintained a continuous supply line to the front in the battle of ZigZag pass on Bataan. There were no beaten trails through the jungle-like thickets but the platoon was able to keep the supplies moving. Tech. Sgt. Snyder is the son of Mr. & Mrs. Philip Snyder and the husband of the former Ardyce Ebersole of Arcadia. He was a well-known boxer prior to entering the Army and has continued winning numerous titles while in service. Overseas 15 months he now holds the Combat Infantry Badge, the American Defense ribbon, and [?] Pacific and Phillipine Liberation ribbons with two campaign stars."

(Newspaperarchive.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]