Saturday, June 13, 2015

NoteWorthy Reads #17

image from Pixabay.com


For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blog posts I found this week which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. It’s not going to be a “best of” post because I don’t have the knowledge to make that determination. I don’t even promise that the articles & blog posts will be written that week – just that I found them that week. When I can, I’ll review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will still be available through the blog's search function.

Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.


CANADA

Canadian Resources I Use from the Life from the Roots blog - gathered over the course of her 19 years of research in the Eastern Townships in Quebec

Baptist Churches in Québec 1794-1967 from the Genealogy Ensemble blog - this will be helpful for me.


DNA 

DNA Research Links Irish and Scots to Northwestern Spain from Celt-Iberia Traders blog – well, that would most likely explain how the Iberian Peninsula got into my DNA


The Wonders of DNA from The Huffington Post  (Now, I understand What those DNA Circles are meant to be used for)


ENGLAND
  



GERMANY



GREAT STORIES

Ghosts of a Colonial Past  from Borders Ancestry blog – a great story built from "junk room" treasures.

  

  
HISTORY


Find: War Dogs of World War II  at the Fold3.com blog - I can't imagine voluntarily sending my pet to war



IMAGES – FOR BLOGGING 

Resources for Free Images from the Pixabay.com blog - resources other than Pixabay


INTERESTING ARTICLE

Teaching Your Genealogical Dog a New Trick: Research Plans from The Advancing Genealogist blog – a fun analogy and good explanation of why and how

Chasing That Probate from The Legal Genealogist’s blog – the best records may not always be where you expect them to be.

Mystery Monday – Beware of Those Bible Pages!  from The Sum of All My Research blog – oh what a twisted trail that led her on!
  
Why You Should Consider Applying to a Lineage Society from AmyJohnsonCrow.com – it’s not elitism, it’s research, Mom.

And here are four variations on a necessary theme.  All worth the read.
                                                                                                              

             Genealogy & Cooking – What Do They Have in Common?  from the blog for the National Genealogical Society, Upfront with NGS

            On Certainty in Genealogy from Schoenblog.com

             Bullying and Elitism from the blog, Parallax View

[By the way, if/when I ever do hire a genealogist to help me when I'm stuck, or just too far away to get to the sources, it will be someone who is nice to beginners.]

TIPS

Potential Problems with Records from genealogy.com – points out the potential problems associated with various sorts of records that we must keep in mind when evaluating the information therein


Genealogy 101: Genealogical Assumptions from colonialroots.com – some incorrect genealogical assumptions to beware of.




How to Decode a World War II US Army Serial Number from AmyJohnsonCrow.com - ah, this will be helpful!


TOOLS

Using a Semantic Engine for Better Understanding from Many-roads.com – he explains it better than I can, just read it


USA

NEW YORK


New York Heritage Digital Collections from NewYorkHeritage.org an absolutely amazing list of links to a wide variety of digitized historical collections for New York State, from libraries, from museums, from businesses, from law schools, from colleges, historical societies, hospitals, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]