Sunday, June 21, 2015

NoteWorthy Reads #18

Climbing My Family Tree: NoteWorthy Reads #18
Image from Pixabay.com


For me, Noteworthy Reads are articles, websites, or blog posts I found this week which are fascinating, interesting and/or helpful, and occasionally “wacky” or “wonderful” will likely sneak in as well. It’s not going to be a “best of” post because I don’t have the knowledge to make that determination. I don’t even promise that the articles & blog posts will be written that week – just that I found them that week. At the end of each trimester I’ll review the posts to determine which entries should be put in my Resource pages; the rest will still be available through the blog's search function.

Note: Just because I list an article does not mean I endorse its contents. It just means I want to be able to find it easily in the future when I may want to consider the issue in more depth.


A GOOD THING

New: DiscoverFreedmen  from the blog of The Legal Genealogist – discusses the amazing records of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands [the Freedmen’s Bureau] and encourages us to join the project to index those records to make it easier for other family historians and genealogists to find their family.


CANADA





DNA

Why upload to GEDmatch or FTDNA? from Segment-ology  – the author’s top 10 reasons.

X-DNA’s Helpful Inheritance Patterns from the Genie1 blog - explains it very well. I want to keep this around to refer back to.


GREAT STORIES

WHAT KILLED GREAT GRANDDAD… A Curious Mystery Solved on TROVE… Part One  from the Family History 4 U blog – a fun account of tracking down whether a family story was accurate.

A Letter from the Shipyards from the blog at Homestead Genealogical Research  – I love old letters.

A Son Finds His Father on Guadalcanal from The Daily Beast - long, but worth it & very moving (I just finished an excellent audio course - WWII: A Military and Social History, that I got from my local library, which likely enhanced the impact this story had on me, but it really is worth reading.)


HISTORY


Leiden Gunpowder Disaster Memorial from Atlas Obscura – if you’re of Dutch extraction, this could be why your ancestor disappeared from records as of 1807.




INTERESTING ARTICLE







TIPS








TOOLS



Evernote for Genealogy: Research Logs and Note Links and Evernote for Genealogy: Creating a Linked Research Blog Index from Colleengreene.com – read the comments too. [Posting this is aspirational and inspirational; I don't - yet - use Evernote as I should.] 

Legacy Family Tree Announcement from the Ancestoring blog – I’ve joined. It looks to be very helpful!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jo! It's always nice to know someone reads our blogs isn't it. Much appreciated, Sharn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo! It's always nice to know someone reads our blogs isn't it. Much appreciated, Sharn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I loved the way you told the story of finding out (for certain) how your Grand-Dad died.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]