Tuesday, January 28, 2014

52 Ancestors: # 4 Edward Carleton Bailey (1849-1926)

This is my 4th entry in the 52 Ancestors in 52 weeks challenge put forth by Amy Johnson Crow of  the No Story Too Small blog.

Climbing My Family Tree: Edward Carleton Bailey (1849-1925)
Edward Carleton Bailey (1849-1926)
Posted with permission of Christina Inman
Click to make bigger


Edward Carleton Bailey is one of my 2nd Great Grandfathers on my maternal lines (he is the father of my grandpa’s mother).  I know a bit more about him than I do about some of the folks I’ve been writing about recently, but even so I’ve got some gaping holes.

I’m lucky in this instance to have a few pages written by my great-grandmother (GGM), Pauline Bailey Snyder, Edward’s youngest daughter, of her recollections of her parent’s family and ancestors and those of her husband as well, and I’ve been able to use them to help confirm whether records I found were related to the right family. On the other hand, I’ve discovered that while her recollections are largely correct, they are not entirely right when they rest on hearsay – at times her facts get somewhat twisted, and on other occasions she's repeating the family legend which seems, so far, to be apocryphal. In any case, I am extremely grateful to my great-grandmother for writing out her recollections and leaving them for later generations.

Edward C. Bailey was born on 12 November 1849 in Union Township, Mifflin County, PA (see picture below)  to James and Maria Bailey.[1]  My great grandmother says that James was Scots-Irish and Methodist, and that Maria (whom she knew as Sarah Williams, “her first name may have been Maria”) was full blooded Welch, Quaker by birth, and “a straight line descendant  from the Roger Williams who founded Rhode Island.” [2] I have been unable to verify any of GGM’s description of the lineage of Edward’s parents as  I have not been able to find them before 1850. I've also not been able to confirm that Maria is related to the Roger Williams of Rhode Island.

Mifflin County PA
As a baby, Edward was evidently known as Carlton, as that is how he is listed in the 1850 Census, when he was one year old. Both his parents are listed as being born in Pennsylvania and both are 34 years old (so born approximately 1816). The census lists his siblings as John, age 7; Anna M., 5; and Lydia, 3. [3] My GGM recalls his brothers and sisters as John “who was killed in the Civil War”; Richard or Dick, “who had a family of several girls – I remember three of their names – Dove, Mabel, and Pin – there were four but I’ve forgotten the other name”; Ella “a housewife”; Lydia “a trained nurse”; and James “who bred fine Kentucky horses”. (None of the descriptors are confirmed yet). I assume Richard, Ella, and James are younger than Edward Carlton since they weren’t on the 1850 Census but I don’t know for sure as I’ve not found Edward’s parents or siblings in any other Census, yet.*

Climbing My Family Tree: 1850 U. S. Census, Union Twp, Mifflin County PA


GGM told me, via her notes, that her father had served in the Civil War, and I confirmed this when I searched Fold3.com and found his service index card and his pension index card showing  he had filed  for an invalid pension in 1884 (granted). It noted that he had enlisted as a private in Company D of the 192 Regiment of the Pennsylvania Infantry, on February 10, 1865. [4] I subsequently found him on the Company D, 192nd regiment Infantry Roster, which indicated he had mustered in on February 15, 1865 (lying about his age and telling them he was 17 – he would have been 15 then)  under Captain Andrews and mustered out with the whole Company on August 24, 1865. [5] In the spring of 1865, nine new companies were recruited to the regiment, which reported as fast as organized, to the commander of the Middle Military Division, with headquarters at Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. When the spring campaign opened, the regiment moved up the valley to Staunton and Lexington, and after Lee’s  and Johnston’s surrenders, assisted with the decommissioning of the Confederate armies in the Shenandoah Valley and with . The fighting was substantially over.  It was, however, retained in the department, engaged in various duties, until the 21th of August, when it was mustered out of service. [6] I have no idea how or where Edward was injured. I intend to order his pension records from the National Archives.


Climbing My Family Tree: 1875 Kansas State Census, Edward Bailey


I then lost Edward again for ten years, and next found him in Ottawa, Kansas, in 1875, with his wife, Emma, and 4 month old child, Howard, on the Kansas State Census; it states he is a boilermaker. [7] He had married my 2nd great-grandmother Martha Emily (called Emma)  Wolfington in 1874. [8] She was born and lived in Paoli, IN. (I have no idea how they met and neither did GGM, although she did say that “Mama went (or started) with her parents to Kansas.”). By 1880, the family had moved to Anderson, Kansas where Edward was a fruit grower, and the couple had three more children: Howard W. was now 5, Granville W. was 4, Lloyd W. was 3, and Myrtle was 5 months old. [9] In 1884,Edward submitted his request for a military invalid pension and it was granted.[4]


Climbing My Family Tree: Index Card, Civil War Pensions, Edward C. Bailey


By 1900, Edward has moved his family to Findlay OH; he is 50 and states that he is a blacksmith. Living at home with them are Howard, age 25; Floyd age 23; Myrtle, age 20; James, age 17; and Pearl Pauline (my GGM), age  9. The city directories show the family living at 519 Hull Avenue, and lists Edward as a blacksmith through 1914. [8, 10] He worked as a blacksmith at the Buckeye Traction Ditcher Company in Findlay for 18 years. [1]

Edward’s wife Emma died in or about 1914. [1] His daughter, Myrtle was still single and still living at home. She applied for a passport to China in 1916 and subsequently lived much of the rest of her life there as a missionary (I wrote a post on her life here. Do read it; it’s fascinating!) By 1918, Edward had married Martha Emily’s sister Isabel Wolfington Wells .[10] (She had been previously married to John Wells, in Kansas [11]).  The couple lived at Edward’s house at 519 Hull St. In 1923, at age 74, he is listed as a fruit grower. [10] I hope it is as a hobby rather than out of necessity.

In 1925 and 1926, he was ill for most of the time and spent March through June 1926 mostly bedfast.  He died on June 30, 1926, at the home of his daughter, Pearl Pauline (Mrs. Philip A Snyder). [1]

His obituary stated that he was a member of the Stoker Post G.A.R. and had converted to the Assemblies of God Church where he had been an Elder and a Deacon for many years.   He was survived by six of his eight children of his first marriage (Homer W. Bailey, Lloyd Weldon Bailey, Myrtle Bell Bailey, Pearl Bailey Snyder, all of Findlay Ohio, and Lloyd Wellington Bailey and James Bailey, of Toledo Ohio) his 2nd wife, Isabel, and one brother, Richard H Bailey of Vandergrift PA. Edward was buried in the Maple Grove Cemetary. [1]

[*UPDATE: I've subsequently found out that Edward's father died in 1858, but his mother was still living in 1860 and was living with her are her daughters Lydia Marie, Eliza Jane, and Rebecca Ella, and her son James -- I still don't know where John, Edward and Richard are that year. In 1870, Edward's Mother has remarried, to Samuel Huber, and she is living with Samuel and his son, and her son James, and her daughter, Ella. Edward's mother lives through the 1900 census. See Mariah/Maria's story.]

________

I want to:

Find Edward's parents, James Bailey & Maria Sarah Williams (if that is her last name)
Find Edward's siblings

Get Edward's military pension file.
Find Birth, marriage (2), and death records

Find out if Edward's brother died in Civil War

I'd really like to know why Edward left PA to go to Kansas, where he met Emma, and why they left Kansas to go to Findlay Ohio, and what happened to Isabel after Edward's death?


[1] Edward C Bailey Obituary, Findlay Morning Republican, July 1, 1926, p. 12; newspaperarchive.com.
[2] Family record. Pearl Pauline Bailey's notes. Copy .
[3] 1850 U.S. Census, Union Township Mifflin County PA

[4] Index Card for Civil War Pensions: http://www.fold3.com/image/5844937/; Index to Civil War Service Record: http://www.fold3.com/image/288562900/.
[5] http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/192nd_Regiment,_Pennsylvania_Infantry
http://www.pa-roots.com/pacw/infantry/192nd/192dcoe1yr.html; Records of the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs REGISTERS OF PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEERS, 1861-1865. Volume 13: 160th-171st, 188th, 190th-192nd Regiments.
[6]http://www.pa-roots.com/pacw/infantry/192nd/192dorg.html;http://vshadow.vcdh.virginia.edu/OR/augusta1865.html
[7] 1875 Kansas State Census, Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas; Ancestry.com.. Kansas State Census Collection, 1855-1925[database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.
[8] 1900 U.S. Census, Findlay, Ward 6, Hancock Ohio
[9] 1880 U.S. Census, Anderson Kansas
[10] Findlay City Directory, Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
[11] 1900 U.S. Census, Chanute, Neosho, Kansas.




2 comments:

  1. Sitting down and writing about our ancestors surely is a humbling experience. We find out just how much we don't know about them, and that is probably a good thing!

    Keep working on the Roger Williams connection...We could be cousins, if it works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cousins? That would be cool! But first I have to find her somewhere, anywhere else than the 1850 census, lol!

      I find writing about them very helpful for that very reason. It helps me see what I need yet.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. [I recently discovered that I've been having technical difficulties with receiving notification of comments for the last year (2019 through Jan 2020). I think I've fixed that now. I hope. My apologies if you were caught up in that. I think I"ve caught up with, and replied to, all the comments now. EDIT: I continue to have problems. I will respond as soon as I find out there's been a comment.]